Thursday, September 15, 2011

Parenting

Hi. 

I'm practicing.

So this is how you write a blog post?

Yeah, I remember this.


Sorry I've been absent.  It's really a tragedy, since life has given me SO MUCH GOOD MATERIAL.  Had I been writing, you would have laughed, you would have cried, you would have marveled at the ridiculousness my life.

The biggest news is that I just gave birth to a baby boy. 

And then he left for college.


It happened that fast.  Seriously.

The "taking him to college" part was an extreme blur.  The college had tons of parent activities planned.  Of course, I was also zipping back & forth, tending to G's needs.  We were flying nonstop at supersonic speeds, and then there was one moment where everything suddenly shifted into slow motion...

It was Saturday night.  We'd moved Joseph & all of his stuff into his dorm.  And all of his stuff.  And more stuff.

No joke.  Joseph even took an extra bookcase to college because he could not conceive of living without bunches of his books.

Anyway.  It was Saturday night.  The parent meetings were all over.  There was a nighttime dorm social that Joseph had to get to.  [Time is suddenly slowing down.]  He turned & gave me a hug & said Good-bye, and then he said, "Well, you can pick me up for church tomorrow."  [Each second is passing like it's a 1/2 hour.]  And I have to respond, "Actually, I think it's time for you to find your own church now."  And he was like, "Yeah, right.  Bye."

And we left.

SO strange to be utterly consumed with the job of Parenting for 19 long years.... and then have it be done.

I know - blah blah blah not done blah blah just different blah.

It feels done.

And yet only beginning.

2 comments:

  1. So glad that you are back! Have been thinking about you a lot with all the new changes going on with your family right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, Thanks for still checking in. I'm excited to see that you have a blog now. I'm looking forward to reading about your adventures too! Heidi

    ReplyDelete