Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Soccer Fun


I'm glad G is able to be on a soccer team.  It's working because his babysitter Mr. Peter takes him to the 5:00 practices.  I meet them there and take G home.  Perfect!

Last Saturday we had our team photos taken.  I got to meet another mom - Denise - there.  Denise asked who my child was, and I pointed out G. 

Denise (confidently): I've talked with his father.

Me (stumbling, looking around to see if there's a Black man in the room): uhhh...

Denise (trying to help me): ... your husband.

Me: uhhh...

Eventually we determine that she has talked with Mr. Peter.  i.e. My 19-year-old babysitter.  i.e. NOT my husband!  Seriously?

This Saturday G had his first game.  G invited everyone under the sun, but the only person able to come was Joseph's dad.  He got to witness a thrilling game.  Interestingly, G - normally so very bold - was not.  He'd kind of jog over to the ball and then let someone else kick it.  He enjoyed playing but didn't seem to fully grasp the purpose or the competitive aspect.

Joseph's dad left a bit early and Denise caught my eye.

Me (helpfully): He's not my husband either.

Denise (confidently): But he is G's dad.  Well, obviously.

Me: No.  But he is my other son's dad.

Conclusion - G is currently the weakest link on his team.  I'm not much more solid among the moms.  But we are both enjoying soccer!

1 comment:

  1. So many sassy comments are flooding my mind but I won't degrade your blog with them.
    Games are so different than practice. I'm sure G is doing great! Wish we could catch a game.

    ReplyDelete