Monday, April 30, 2012

A Praying Life

I spent a bit of time today searching my own blog.  I was trying to find the post where I wrote about Paul E. Miller's book, "A Praying Life"... only I don't seem to have written about it.  Ooops.

Tremendous book.

I'll share some:

"The second thing we must do in learning to pray is believe like a child.  Children are supremely confident of their parents' love and power.  Instinctively, they trust.  They believe their parents want to do them good.  If you know your parent loves and protects you, it fills your world with possibility.  You just chatter away with what is on your heart.  It works the same in the world of prayer."

"Imagine asking Jesus how he's doing.  He'd say, 'My Father and I are doing great.  He has given me everything I need today.'  You respond, 'I'm glad your Father is doing well, but let's just focus on you for a miute.  Jesus how are you doing?'  Jesus would look at you strangely, as if you were speaking a foreign language.  The question doesn't make sense.  He simply can't answer the question 'How are you doing?' without including his heavenly Father.  That's why contemplating the terror of the cross at Gethsemane was such an agony for Jesus.  He had never experienced a moment when he wasn't in communion with his Father.  Jesus' anguish is our normal."

"Efficiency, multitasking, and busyness all kill intimacy.  In short, you can't get to know God on the fly."

Those are just the first three quotes I opened to.  The whole book is quotable.  Engaging.  Encouraging.  Exciting.

Tremendous book.

Yesterday, a friend gave me a copy of it.  Since I already have one, she said I could share it.

Would you like to have it?

4 comments:

  1. Wow. Those first two quotes especially are totally new perspectives for me. I've never considered that oneness perspective before. His anguish is our normal? That blows my mind.
    I'm definitely interested but I'm pretty sure I won your last giveaway so I'll be your runner up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.s. thanks for taking the robot-proofer off. So much easier!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh. At work this afternoon I decided that no one was going to comment, so I offered the book to my team - and 3 people spoke up right away.

    It is seriously a terrific book. I hope it crosses your path again some day!

    And - yes - I allowed less than 48 hours before deciding no one was interested. What's up with that? Little patience problem on my part maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess I need to stalk your blog even more than I already do so I don't miss out!!!

    ReplyDelete