Thursday, August 12, 2010

More Willow Creek Summit

I left you with the question "How are people most motivated at work?"

According to Daniel Pink there was a very large study done which found that the single largest factor for people feeling motivated is.. when they're making progress.  Isn't that simple?  And yet, doesn't it ring true?  I know that when I feel like I've progressed on a project, I feel like I've had a good day.

So then, the lesson becomes - as a supervisor, how do I help my folks to feel like they're making progress?  I do it by building in celebrations of milemarkers as projects progress (even if I have to create the milemarkers).  And I do it by creating more opportunities for feedback.  Pink questioned the import of an annual review, asking "What if Serena Williams only got feedback once a year?"  We have to build specific goals into our projects so that we can periodically measure our progress.

I wrote about progress on projects, but the lessons apply also to progress on personal development.

Is this interesting to normal people, or is it just me?

No comments:

Post a Comment