Monday, August 9, 2010

News & Observation

(There's more Vacation to share about, but it has to wait.)

News first.

Ever since Joseph first started thinking about college, there has only been ONE destination in mind.  The dream college.  The goal.  The ONE.

It was while trolling this school's website that Joseph discovered their summer program.  He applied, was accepted, and loved it.  Along the way, he's met lots of folks there - even the Director of Admissions.  And every single minute on that campus has only served to cement its ranking as The ONE.  The looming question of "Will I be accepted?" has been anguished over in our home on many many occasions.

Today Joseph received a form letter from The One congratulating him on his "standing as a high scorer in the PSAT...program."  AND - at the bottom of the letter was a handwritten note from the Director of Admissions: "Hi Joe - I was so excited to see your name on our PSAT list!  Congratulations!  Am really excited about the possibility of you being at [The ONE]."

Oh my word.  The joy.  The hope!  It's really fun to see your child's excitement.  Do you think that when your child's dream comes true it's better than if one of your own dreams did? 

Plus - Joseph's joy factor impelled him to both trim our bushes and scrub out G's little pool - furthering my joy :)

I did remind Joseph that if The ONE doesn't provide a SERIOUS MAJOR LOT of financial aid, then they will be The Impossible.  We shall see.


The Observation

I had really looked forward to my sister's family meeting G and getting to see how funny he is in person.  The kid is a riot.

Only - when they were here, he was not funny.  Not really even once.

As soon as we were back to our regular lives, he blossomed again.  I've been wondering about that.  There are a few different possible explanations, aren't there?  In any case, it's good to know he blossoms at home.

One little example happened tonight.  G gets to choose 3 books for me to read before bed.  Tonight he carefully chose and gave me 2 books.  Then 1 more.  Then -very deliberately-without making eye contact with me- 1 more.  And then again - 1 more.  And then, with exaggerated carelessness, he waved his hand at me & started to lead me towards the bed: "Let's go, Mama."  I held it for 2 beats, but had to burst out laughing.. and he joined me.  He was totally trying to pull one over on me!  And he thought it was hysterical that I busted him.

I love my boys.

3 comments:

  1. We will continue to pray big time about THE ONE...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still trying to figure out why you think G wasn't funny while we were there ... he was HYSTERICAL and we all fell in love with him!!!! Your ears should be ringing; I'm constantly hearing "I want to show Aunt Heidi & G" or "Mommy, I really want to show Joseph" - the girls miss you guys!!

    So excited to hear about the letter / note Joseph got - prayers are with him that it all works out at THE ONE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be the best news ever. I am shamelessly a superfan of J's choice. And, I happen to know The One who can make it all happen. Trusting Him.

    ReplyDelete