Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Da Buhz

The emotional build-up has lasted months.

Every. single. time. we have seen a bus, G has exclaimed: "Da Buhz!  Das my buhz?"  Or the always-popular claiming statement: "Das MY buhz!"

We have discussed over & over & over again how Joseph takes his bus to school.  Over & over & over.

So today was a huge day.  This was the start of his new schedule - special preschool in the morning, followed by a BUS taking him to his regular day care, where I would later pick him up.  We reviewed this huge change in routine many times so G would be as prepared as possible.  I made him pictures that showed each step in order.  My concern was that - given the huge focus on the *bus* part of the day, that G would be unpleasantly surprised by the other parts of the day, like the *Mama leaves* part.  No matter how many times we reviewed the different parts, the only part that got any attention was, yes, the bus.


We've been doing a countdown of days until "New school AND you ride the bus."

This morning when G woke up and asked for "my buhz?" I finally got to say: "Yes!  Today you will go to your new school and ride your bus!"

Drop-off at the new school went ok.  G was definitely hesitant, watching everything.  I took a photo with the drop-off buses since I wouldn't get a photo with the Real Event.


You can tell he was nervous.  He held tight to my hand.  But when the teacher told him to "hold hands with Caden," he did - even though I had just seen Caden picking his nose moments earlier.  ugh.


Then, as I turned to leave, the teacher mentioned: "Oh.  The bus company said that instead of sending a bus for G, they might send a Suburban."



Oh my stinkin word.



I warned her that would be an issue, but... the school bell was about to ring, the kids were marching in, and... I left him.

Apparently, it did not go well.  G was VERY upset.  The teachers harnessed him in to keep him in the vehicle.  Poor little dude.  He didn't understand.  His mama had promised him a bus.  He'd been looking forward to a bus.  And - I found out later - not only was it not a bus, but it was not a Suburban - it was a white van.  As in - the same kind of vehicle that always used to take him back to the orphanage after our visits together.  Can you imagine?  I feel sick thinking about it.

The teachers did send him home with picture:


Little late with that one.

He was clingy tonight, but still isn't communicative enough for us to discuss what happened.  I talked to him, but don't know how much he comprehended.  I do know he was exhausted and fell asleep right away.

So that was our disaster for today.  I do feel bad just posting that much when I have huge praises I could be posting....  G was accepted into special preschool!  He'll get speech therapy, occupational therapy, and more!  We have transportation to get him to day care!  He's safe & growing!  We'll survive the Bus Incident.  Good things are happening.  God is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment