Friday, February 25, 2011

The Latest in Language

G's language development continues to provide daily amusement.  Some of the latest...

- When G wants my attention, he used to call: "Mama!"  Lately he's been calling: "My Mom!"  Hilarious, no? 

This morning G was sitting on the kitchen chair.  He yelled to me: "My Mom!  My bottom huwts.  I wanna sit in you lap."  "Why, yes, your majesty - allow me to act as your cushion."

- With our winter weather, the sidewalks have often been slippery.  Only instead of "slippery" G says "swippy."  How could I correct "swippy?"

The other day when G woke up, it had snowed again.  He had just been talking about his babysitter, Mr. Jim, when he noticed the snow outside.  He called out, as if Mr. Jim could cosmic-ly hear him: "Oh Missuh Jim: it's reawy swippy!"

- G has a new habit for ascertaining what people want.  It's a Statement-Confirmation system, where he very seriously adds "yes and no" on to the end of sentences (meaning "yes OR no").  He just asked Joseph: "Jajesh - you wanna pizza - yes and no?"  Who knows - maybe we've been too long-winded with our answers, and he's encouraging us to just stick to the bottom line.

What do you think - yes and no?

No comments:

Post a Comment