Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Today's Adoption Adventure

Today I was on a government conference call with - I don't know - maybe 1,000 other people.  People like me who are navigating the process of adopting a child from Haiti.

Remember how we were told that we'd have to maintain custody of our children for two years before they'd be eligible for citizenship?  And then our government came up with a new process to eliminate that two year wait?  Today's conference call was to further clarify for us how the new process would work.

There was a huge, long, sometimes helpful, sometimes painful time when adoptive parents asked their questions of the government officials.

I thought you would enjoy some of the highlights from those calls.

Caller #22:
"So, on the form, where it asks for the visa number... well, our kids don't have visas, so what do we do with that line?"
"You'd leave it blank."
"But then - what about the next line - where it asks for the date of the visa?"

Caller #46:
"I've been able to finalize the adoption of my children.  So, on the form there's a blank where it asks for the name of their mother.  What do I put there?"

Caller #3,481:
(Over two hours into the call, when everything had seemingly been explained 50 times)
"So, I'm confused.  How exactly does the two year wait work?"

Seriously!

But the main highlight is - There is a way!  And we can do it!  And some day, less than two years away, this wild child will be a citizen.  Hooray!


 

2 comments:

  1. I was ready to kill the lady that said, 'So, wait, does the info you just provided for children "14 and under" apply to my two-year-old?"

    And HOW are all these people able to afford to leave the country?? Couldn't believe how many couldn't wait another second for passports.

    Just so you know, a birth certificate does not provide citizenship ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that you were enjoying the call as much as I was! Good tip on the birth certificate. So then - does the birth certificate provide citizenship?

    ReplyDelete