Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Eye: Where We Are

To recap where we've been recently:
1. G's retina was detached
2. Surgery
3. Calm & still.  No being around other children
(including the babysitter's children).
4. Still detached
5. More surgery
6. More calm & still; no other children.  Plus
mandated staring at the floor all day every day.
7. Six miracle days of cooperation
8. Six days of... misery

We had been trying G on a medication to help him achieve "calm & still."  That, along with your prayers, brought about a miraculous post-surgery window. 


Unfortunately, that window closed.  I wrote about the struggles that we have been having.

On Sunday we discontinued G's medicine (and you all prayed some more), and he's now had 3 terrific days!  Terrific in spite of us having to wake early for doctor appointments.  Terrific in spite of us returning to "scrambling for babysitters."

We're back to "scrambling for babysitters" because
(1) I returned to work.  I'd rather be home with G but, you know, a paycheck is nice too.
(2) Our regular babysitter quit.  I understand why.  G hasn't been able to go to her house and I haven't been able to pay her and, you know, a paycheck is nice.  But (sob) I thought we were almost back to "normal!"

This week we have 5 different sitters lined up.
Good news: This covers the whole week.
Bad news: G usually does much better when life is consistent.
Miraculous news: One of the sitters is a prospect to replace the sitter who just quit!

I will die of thankfulness if God provides a new sitter for us just that easily.

Oh - and you wanted an update on the eye -

The retina seems to be ... attached!

Attached, y'all!

We'll see if that continues.  The gas bubble dissipated more quickly than hoped for, which means it wasn't able to press & hold the retina in place as long as we wanted it to.

Also, it's hard for the doctor to see into the eye really well because G's eye has developed a cataract.  I guess that is serious because it's blocking vision in that eye.

Did you know that at age 5, a child's brain is still learning how to receive & process vision from the eye?  Vision is still developing.  Aren't our bodies amazing?

We can't have G's "visual development" blocked - I think because it would risk his brain discontinuing trying to connect with that eye.  Don't trust me; ask your doctor.  Anyway, he will need to have a cataract surgery soon.

Yes, I'm still typing.  Mercy.

SO - we have been cleared to stop the "facedown" (staring at the floor) part of recovery!  Halleluiah!

We do need to continue the "calm & still" part.  This is proving to be a challenge because
(1) He's so happy to be feeling better
(2) He's a 5-year-old boy

The child doesn't sit and play cars.  He bounces & flops and plays cars.

Oh, how I want that retina to heal.

Won't it be amazing if G's eye is saved?!

Thanks - again - for praying.

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the details and length here.
    Trusting still that his eye will be saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will keep praying because we know He can do great things! It is so nice to see G's smiling face!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heidi definitely praying for you. I had a doctor tell me to have Jackson lay still and on his side for ten minutes for ear drops and I laughed at him... I can't imagine your and G's struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends, Thank you for the encouragement. I appreciate it! (And, Emily, I love to picture you laughing at the doctor!) Heidi

    ReplyDelete