Friday, April 8, 2011

Conference

Thank goodness!  I was overwhelmed by last weekend's conference, and had no idea how to summarize the experience. Thankfully, Christine summarized it.  Perfectly.  It was everything she wrote – and maybe more.  It was seriously that good.

(Shout out to Pam & Joseph, who both watched G so I could attend!)

I learned so much.

But the best thing about the conference was not what I learned; it was who I met.

I met another single mom… in my area… with a son who spent his early life in an orphanage!
I met a mom… in my area… with a son who shares some unusual behaviors with G!
I met a mom… in my area… with a son adopted from Haiti!
I met a mom whose daughter USED to share one of G’s behaviors!
I met Christine (rock star mom)!

I was accepted, not judged, understood, encouraged… and I got to return the favor as much as I could.

Wow.

But the best part of "who I met" was someone I already knew!  Do you remember me writing about Lindsay?... the woman who was amazing with the children in my son’s orphanage?... Lindsay was at the conference!

I was trying to minimize babysitting time for G, so I’d taken him with me to register in the morning.  I was chatting with someone, when I suddenly realized that a woman was crouched down right next to my son.  Huh?!  I turned to shoot her a “personal space invasion look of doom,” when I realized it was Lindsay!  Total shocker.  I may or may not have kissed her.  I was pretty excited.

So, in addition to everything else, I got to catch up with someone special and hear a bit about our Haiti friends!

I’ll try to share some of what I learned from the conference later this weekend.


Um. I’ll also try not to use excessive exclamation points again. Although I can’t make promises.



1 comment:

  1. I did not hear about the Lindsay connection.

    That makes my day.

    I miss you, and I absolutely loved our (way too short) stolen time together. You are so amazing, and thoughtful and passionate. I wish so much that I was one of those people ... in your area!

    But I'm just a click away.

    ReplyDelete