Friday, December 3, 2010

Free Advent Study

With this being G's first Christmas home, I have a blank slate for creating new traditions.

I've been thinking about how I typically spend December vs how I want to spend it.  In my mind, it should be much less about running around for events & gift-buying than it always is.  I want to get to December 25th and just be culminating a CELEBRATION of what God did for us... leaving his throne, choosing humility, and sacrificing to make himself known to us... everything worth celebrating.  But without fail I rush through the season, just trying to survive.  I give my nods to God, and zip on to the next event.

This year, we've got something new.  And I can share it with you!

I found the link on the Sit A Spell blog that I've been reading.  It's for a Free Advent Celebration.  There's a simple bible reading & thought for every night, along with a coordinating ornament to hang, and an action step for the next day.  It's exactly what I've dreamed of.  Including - did I mention - it's free.

We started it last night.  I lit a candle to make the event feel different.  Maybe next year I'll get an advent wreath.  But, for now, a cheap candle.  Although it is a "hot chocolate" scented candle - which makes it about as Holiday Themed as I get.  I digress.

G snuggled in with me.  Joseph read.  G declined to hang the ornament, but did want to blow out the candle.  (Good thing I'm such a holiday mood-setter, eh)

And it was perfect.  Very brief, but enough to teach my boys and myself, and to build our Christmas anticipation.  Love it.

If you want to join us, here it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment