Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Force to be Reckoned With

There's been an invasion in our neighborhood.

Living behind us now is one adorable 2nd grade boy. 

A precocious boy.  A confident boy.  An "oblivious to social cues" boy.

"Jacob" (changing his name) is desperate for followers in his creative endeavors, and G fits the bill.

Last weekend we were engaging in our beloved "Watching the lawn mowing" activity, when Jacob came over.  Trampled right over my flowers.

Me: "Jacob, please move off of my flowers."

Jacob: "It's all right." (remains standing on the flowers) "I have an idea..." (putting his finger on his chin) "... do you want me to make a rocket or a robot?"

My favorite Jacob story happened last Saturday.  We explained to Jacob that G was going to take his nap and would sleep at least until 4:00.  But just because I felt a little iffy regarding the possibility of Jacob staying away, I posted a charming sign on my front door:

Taking a nap.
Do not knock or ring bell.

Welcome to my home.

Thankfully, G fell right asleep.  KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK RING RING RING RING RING... (pause)...RING RING RING KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

Joseph said, "I guess we know now that Jacob can't read."  I pretended nothing was happening and G eventually fell back to sleep.

At 4:00 I took G to cuddle in the front room until he really woke up.  KNOCK KNOCK RING RING KNOCK KNOCK RING!

Me: "Jacob, did you forget that I asked you not to come over during naptime?"

Jacob: "No, I remembered.  I saw your sign, but I thought maybe you woke up and didn't take the sign down.... and you didn't take it down!  I have an idea...."

1 comment: