Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Learning Social Skills

A humorous twist in our interactions with Jacob, the neighbor boy.

Jacob is not helpful in my ongoing quest to keep G in a calm state.

This weekend Jacob announced: "I have an idea (seriously - he says that every time, including putting his index finger on his chin)... we'll play the STILL game!" 

The STILL game quickly turns into the PERPETUAL MOTION game.  G gets so exclted that he embr*ces Jacob in a big bear hug and offers some klsses to his chest.  Jacob looks a little weirded out, but still doesn't leave.

"I have an idea...  I'm a robot.  You give me directions."

The robot game gets exclting and G embr*ces Jacob in a big bear hug and offers some klsses to his chest.  Jacob looks a little weirded out, but presses on.

"I have an idea...."


Later, Joseph & I try to help G understand rules about hugging & klssing.  We do simple explanations and elaborate ones.  We give demos.  We talk specifically about the Jacob situation.

Finally G interrupts: "No, Jajesh.  I say you.  I klss him lots."


Apparently, Neighbor Etiquette Classes will be ongoing at my house this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment