Saturday, May 14, 2011

One moment on a Saturday afternoon


I've heard there are 500,000 orphans in Haiti.



Today I watch my beautiful son eating a snack.

He drops a slice of orange.  "Das ok Mom."

He picks up another slice.  "My hands is juicy Mom."

And I think... If I hadn't adopted him, there would be one more little boy alone in Haiti this afternoon.

Lost in a crowd of children.
No narrated afternoon snack. 
Without a mama who adores him.

Just one more.
Compared to 500,000, that's hardly significant.

But it's huge for him.

And huge for me.

If I hadn't adopted him, there would be one more woman just wasting away a Saturday afternoon.  No narrated afternoon snack.

I watch my son and am aware of how blessed we both are.

1 comment:

  1. well said, Heidi. I get mad when people say, "He's so lucky to have you."

    NO - we needed him as much as he needed us, probably MORE.

    It's amazing that God knew that my son was in a tiny little building with not enough anything and could somehow help us find each other.

    I stand all amazed.

    ReplyDelete