Wednesday, October 5, 2011

The Eye, The Eye, Again With The Eye

Photo from September

It is hard to keep this boy still.

After work, as soon as I pick him up, he RUNS to the car and starts pulling pulling pulling on the door handle (head banging) to open it.  Immediately I'm on alert behind him: "Walk please!  Slow down!  Slow & calm!  Slow & calm!"

Mercy.

Because I really wanted to be with G on Monday before he came out of the anesthesia, the hospital staff let me back immediately.  That meant I got to hold G through his whole "wailing screaming thrashing with tubes attached everywhere phase."  I appreciate that the staff allowed that.  I believe G heard & smelled me as he came out, and that helped him.

The bad part was that the head doctor came to see me then.  I was very occupied, trying to contain G.  I was not thinking "what questions should I ask?"  By the time we got to recovery, she was gone. 

I've been asking to speak with her since.  The hospital sent me another doctor who said things like "That's a great question.  You really should ask Dr. ___."  I called her office again this morning.  Finally I got a call back after 5pm today.... from a technician.... who said things like "That's a great question.  I'll let Dr. ____ know."  I'm waiting.

In the mean time, I've fielded FOUR calls (plus emails) from G's school nurse.  This woman is IMPORTANT.  She will receive her answers now!  Or else!  Perhaps I do not understand that she is responsible for keeping G safe, and I will need to cooperate... by having G's doctor call her.

That might be funny. 

Except that School Nurse has decreed that G is not allowed back in school until she has spoken to Dr. ____.  And a note from Dr. ____ is not good enough.  And School Nurse cannot provide her questions so that the doctor can address them.  School Nurse must have a conversation with Dr. ____ that fully addresses all of her concerns.  And School Nurse clearly told Dr.____'s staff - and had them read the message back to her - that School Nurse had to be called back before 3pm.  Here's the email she sent to me & the teacher at 3:07pm...

Ladies, I have NOT received a call back from the doctor for G, so he may NOT attend school tomorrow. I will let you know as soon as I speak with the physician. Thank you,


Now Dr. ____ will have to call tomorrow after 10:30 because School Nurse is going to be busy doing BMIs with the fourth graders.

Power trip, much?

Fortunately, I was able to line up a babysitter for this morning. 

I don't even have enough vacation time from work left to get me through the rest of this year's surgery/recovery/appointments.  It will be interesting to see how God provides in this whole "no school" saga, eh?

One more eye fact for my thousands of fascinated readers (hi mom)....  Dr. ____'s office scheduler called me today.  They are moving G's surgery up from the four week time frame to happen in less than two weeks.  I'm relieved about that.  Wish I knew more about the reasoning.  Maybe Dr. _____ was just nodding to anesthesiology yesterday, but is going to do what she needs to do?

Now, what we need to do is get G healthy!

...and talk to Dr. ____...

...and deal with School Nurse...

...and...and...and...

No comments:

Post a Comment