Saturday, October 1, 2011

Naming the fish

Uncle Jim gave G some money for his birthday.

Given the great success of our butterflies, I decided that a fish / simple fish bowl would be the perfect use of the birthday money.

Six dollars for the fish.  THIRTY-NINE DOLLARS for the fish's gear.  But my bitterness is not part of this story.

I asked G what he was going to name his fish.

"Abcdefg."

Awesome.  The betta fish named Abcdefg.

The next morning G ran straight to the fish bowl.  I asked, "How is Abcdefg doing today?"

He looked exasperated.  "Mom, his name not Abcdefg."

"Oh, I'm sorry.  What IS his name."

"G."

"His name can't be G.  Your name is G."

"Wewllllll... iz LITTLE G."

There you have it.  Our household has expanded to include a $45 fish named Little G.

2 comments:

  1. I love it, of course. Do you know that Ava named her betta "Christmas Eve"? It was a gift and I really hope it didn't cost $45!! It's still going strong, despite my lack of reminders for feedings and the infrequency of tank cleanings. I'm sure Big G will be much more enthusiastic and responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell Ava that I love her fish's name. Christmas Eve is unique & festive.

    Surprise: G is not actually that responsible. You know how the fish is supposed to get like 3 tiny pellets of food? G grabbed & dumped in a huge pinchful. I was so angry that I told him he was "grounded from feeding the fish for a MONTH!" Who grounds their pre-schooler for a month? So ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete