Friday, April 9, 2010

I am rich

A couple of weeks ago I wrote about finding "a new normal" where I wasn't overwhelmed all the time any more.  The following days I was totally overwhelmed and wondering what I had been thinking.

But this week we seemed to have turned another corner towards normal - and I have proof!  Twice this week I stayed up late accomplishing things, got 4 hours of sleep, and was fine the next day.  And today we did something spontaneous.  I've missed being able to do both of those things.

This morning we were up & out early to drop off G's day care registration.  It's official & settled.  Ah-yah-yee-ah!  And guess what God did?  Remember one of the only things I didn't like about this school was that the teacher was leaving in August?  She's decided to stay!

And, our spontaneous adventure?  We went to the ZOO!  After stopping at the day care, I was enjoying the gorgeous morning, and decided to just keep driving to the zoo.  What joy.  I wonder - of the world's population - how many people today had access to a zoo; and could afford it; and actually got to go?  Not only did I get to go, but I got to go with my beautiful son, who God rescued & gifted to me.  This boy really likes watching our backyard squirrels, and I got to experience him seeing GIRAFFES for the first time.  I don't know if I'm capturing it well enough.  It was awesome.

Actually, there are awesome moments every day (even when I'm overwhelmed).  I'm so richly blessed.

G did enjoy the zoo.  It took him a while to get into it.  At our first stop, he thought the elephants were ok and the Canadian geese were great.  ugh.  He gave the wolves a "Wooooow" (this from the boy who is terrified of dogs).  The camels - ? - were another favorite.  But the all-time favorite, even better than the geese, were the sea lions.  Those earned screams of delight.

And when I pushed naptime back too far, and G tipped over towards meltdown, I was able to scoop him up & talk with him, and help him get back control before he spiraled down.  That might have been my favorite part of the whole day.  We're both learning.

Unfortunately, spontaneity means not having your camera ready.  I bought a disposable one at the zoo, so I'll post photos once I get them.

Happy Friday!

1 comment:

  1. Loving your spontaneity! So relieved you bought a camera and can't wait to see the pics. Super impressed with the melt-down inhibitor skills. In the future, can you just carry a video camera everywhere you go because I am missing out on too much and it's beginning to kill me.

    ReplyDelete