Saturday, May 29, 2010

Another First!



I know you're thinking that I just baked chicken for the first time.  But no - not yet for that.  See the wristband?...

Today was G's first trip to the Emergency Room!  Didn't take long for that.  Although, at the rate he has accidents, I'm sure it's not too surprising.

The 3 of us were outside.  G was mostly standing around because he still doesn't really "get" independent imaginative play.  Joseph was cutting branches and I was bagging them.  Suddenly G started SCREAMING & rubbing at his eye, which he would not open. 

(Skipping the boring middle of the story)

We end up in the ER, G with his eye numbed.  The doc has the eyelid flipped, and he finds the "foreign body therein!"  It was a speck.  Seriously, a speck.  The size of a period.  Crazy to see how much trouble a speck can cause.

Soon we'll see how crazy the cost of speck-removal is.

Being in that hospital in our cozy suburb is weird to me.  It's so much like (I imagine) a luxury spa would be.  Tranquil environment, plenty of staff there to serve you, polite capability everywhere.  Today, being there with G, made the experience even more weird.  Do you know that when someone goes to a hospital in Haiti they'd better have a friend there to take care of them?  Assuming that they are seen, the friend will be responsible for providing any food & water.  They need to bring their own medical supplies for any treatment that's done.  I've heard this information from multiple sources and believe it to be true.. before the earthquake.  I don't know what it's like now.  I know that the people of Haiti still desperately need help. 

And I know I'm very glad that G is home, safe.

1 comment:

  1. i'm so glad he's fine and hope that really won't be a frequent experience in your family.

    ReplyDelete