Thursday, May 20, 2010

Big Happenings

This morning we had G's full school evaluation!  We met with the school psychologist, speech therapist, occupational therapist, physical therapist, and an intern.  They apologized that the social worker couldn't make it - !  So far, I'm impressed with the team.  They seem knowledgeable, caring, and professional.  I was hoping G would at least qualify for speech therapy.  They think he'll qualify for the whole morning special preschool program.  Unfortunately we won't know for sure until late August.  That'll make for interesting daycare arrangements.

During the eval, I was shocked to see how much G has learned in the past 2 months since his 1st eval.  He can do so much more - language, behavior, strength, coordination, comprehension - it's unbelievable.  My favorite moment was when one lady asked about his ability to identify body parts.  I told her that "nose" was the only guarantee, with "eyes" sometimes making the list.  G correctly did "nose" and "eyes"!  And then "mouth", "foot", "ear", and "head"!  Yee-haw!  He couldn't do elbow, but who really needs to know "elbow" anyway?

Also today was G's preschool graduation.  Yep, after 3 weeks in school he's earned his diploma.  I'm expecting he'll be finished with college by September.

The children did a "performance" for the parents before the diplomas were handed out.  They had been practicing their songs all year.  Of course, you couldn't hear much because several of the children were freaking out screaming - first, because they wanted to sit with their parents; and then, because they're 2.  The parts of the performance that we could hear were approx. 8 different children's songs sung solo by the teacher because not one child would sing with her.  It was well worth the hour of vacation time that I had to use in order to attend.



After the "performance" there was a "party," where the children all sat around the table & ate tons of snacks.  (Yes, all right before dinnertime.)  Some of the parents hovered over their children.  Other parents mingled.  And one parent chose to drill me with bizarre-ness.  Observe:

- After confirming that G belonged to me: "His hair is so soft."  Sharing this news with me was apparently the reason she approached me.  I wasn't sure how to respond.  I considered: "Huh, I haven't analyzed your child's hair yet" or "Please don't pet my child."  But I think I settled for "uh-huh." 

- Undeterred, she carried on, asking me where G was from.  She asked: "So, how do you pick your child?  Do you get to go there and say (pointing) 'I like that one?'"

- She also needed to know if I'd adopt again and if I'd do "one like him again" or I could "get a Chinese."

All the time, I'm getting better at fielding & avoiding personal questions, but I would have to say that I lost this particular skirmish.  At least I've been able to ponder some wonderful new responses for next time.

What a day.

1 comment: