Friday, July 16, 2010

Adoption Facts

This week I participated in a webinar with USC!S and various other influential adoption folk.

It has definitely been decided that USC!S will NOT consider any "secondary evidence."  Since I do not have a copy of the adoption decree, they will not consider that one may have existed (one did, and USC!S Chicago has their own secondary evidence of that).

This means that I definitely cannot move towards completing G's adoption now.  I will continue to be his "sponsor" with the government maintaining custody for the next two years.  After that time, I can begin adoption procedings.

I also learned that I could technically take G out of the USA.. but there are no guarantees that he'd be allowed back in.  So - that Senior Year family trip to Germany, which I promised to Joseph back when he started 7th grade German - not going to happen.

Let's focus.  G is alive.  He's safe.  And, today, he's with us.


(Phil 2:14)

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't everyone's primary evidence destroyed in Haiti? How do they expect anyone to prove anything if they won't accept what you have? So you'll be adopting him from the US govt after two years? I'm just confused. You don't have to answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send G down to visit his cousins while you take Joseph to Germany .... just a thought - the offer is out there.

    ReplyDelete