Friday, July 9, 2010

Disappointment

I will start by acknowledging that many people are facing much more difficult situations than I am.

My Aunt Donna continues to battle for her life.  Her surgery this week was compounded by a heart attack.  Thanks to everyone who is praying for her.

I know that there are many more painful things happening among us.

But tonight I'll share my disappointment.

Today, my letter finally arrived from USC!S.  They have decided that I did not have a "full and final adoption" completed in Haiti.

I did.

I really did.  I don't have the energy to look back at my records now, but I think I had my "full and final adoption decree" last October.

Of course, it was destroyed in the earthquake.  I have plenty of "secondary evidence," but apparently that's not what they wanted.

This means that G will continue to live with me, but he will not legally be "my son" for...


years.


My next step is to maintain custody of him for two full years.  After that time, I can begin to submit miscellaneous government forms (I-130, I-485, and N-600 if you care) and pay lots more fees to our government ($2,375 just for the forms I've listed), and then I can apply for "evidence of his U.S. citizenship."

It is completely unfair.

Since early 2007 I have filed every form and paid every fee.  It should be impossible for our govt not to recognize this.  Yet here I am.

I know this is not the worst thing that could happen.  But I'm sad.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you received that news. I can't beleive there are more hoops to jump through. Praying God provides an easier way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having trouble with this one. I know that G is home and that's what matters, but it feels so uncertain. Like - what else is going to go wrong and they'll take custody away? And mostly is just feels so shockingly unfair. I believe in justice & truth, you know? And this is just not right. Thanks for praying!

    ReplyDelete